Title No. REA3455E)
Kids, Content, and
Comprehension: Literacy and Learning in Grades 4-12
Proficiency Level: Mastery
Subject(s):Language Arts and Reading,Interdisciplinary
Description:Addressing the learning needs of students in
grades 4-12 requires a focus on content area literacy. The content area
requirements of these grade levels make it necessary for teachers in all
subject areas to provide tools for comprehending subject matter.
Understanding the needs of adolescents, incorporating sound instructional
practices into daily lessons, and skillfully using comprehension strategies
in the content areas will be the focus of this course. At the conclusion of
this course, participants will have the knowledge and resources to create
effective lessons to help students comprehend text and learn content, thus
improving student achievement.
Pre-requisites: This is an introductory course for teachers, literacy
coaches, curriculum specialists, professional development specialists, and
administrators. Participants are expected to have regular access
to computers. In addition, participants should be proficient with
using email, browsing the Internet, and navigating to computer files.
Objectives: This course will enable participants to:
1. Apply brain research about adolescents to instructional practices.
2. Explore five recommendations for literacy related instruction in content
3. Use active engagement strategies in the classroom.
4. Use a variety of comprehension strategies in content area classrooms.
5. Use strategic teaching in instructional practices.
6. Develop a strategic lesson plan and implement in the content area classroom.